Change Your Major
Change of Major Rules & Regulations (Institute Level Rules)
- Undergraduate students will be permitted one unrestricted transfer between majors until they have earned 60 credit hours. There are a few departments who have been granted exceptions to that rule such as ME, CS, ISYE and BME, so please contact an advisor in that department to be sure.
- After 60 hours or upon subsequent change of major, the change will be permitted at the discretion of the school that the student is seeking to enter.
- Students who transfer from another institution will be permitted to change their major only at the discretion of the school that the student is seeking to enter.
- Students who wish to add a secondary major must fill out a change of major form.
Change your Major to NRE
- Students who have more than 60 credit hours must have a minimum Georgia Tech GPA of 2.6.
- Students who have previously changed their major must have a minimum Georgia Tech GPA of 2.6.
- Transfer students must have completed at least one semester at Georgia Tech, completed at least 12 credit hours with a minimum Georgia Tech GPA of 2.6.
- Students who started at Georgia Tech as freshman, have less than 60 credits and have not previously changed their major do not have a GPA requirement to change to NRE.
How to Change your Major
- Obtain a change of major form.
- Have your current academic advisor and your new academic advisor sign it.
- To obtain the NRE advisor signature, drop the form off at the front desk in MRDC room 3112. MRDC which is building 135 on the campus map. You can then pick it up the following business day from our office. Click here for our office hours. Students who are away from campus, can also email the form to Katherine Drake. We will email the form back to you after it has been signed.
- Keep in mind that many departments will not sign your form during registration. NRE will sign forms during registration times.
- Some schools (such as Computer Science, Management and Industrial Engineering) require that you attend a change of major meeting before they will sign your change of major form.
- You can find advisors in all departments using Grades First.
- Students in the co-op program, ROTC programs and international students must have their respective advisor sign it as well.
- Students who are not on campus can fill out the form, scan it and send it to your NRE advisor through email. We will sign it, scan it and send it back to you through email.
- Turn the signed form into the registrar’s office in the Tech Tower or email it to the registrar's office.
- If you turn your major change form into the registrar’s office after phase 2 registration closes for the semester, your change of major will go into effect during the following semester.